Get a Library Card
Get a Library Card
It is easier than ever to register for, replace or renew a library card.
You can visit us during opening hours or apply online by filling out the form at the end of this page.
Membership is free to all who live, work, attend school, or own property in Aurora or any York Region municipality. Photo identification with current address is required for all registrations.
Most library cards expire every two years. To renew it, we need to verify your name, address and telephone number. If there are outstanding fees on the card, they will need to be paid before the card is renewed. Please notify staff immediately if there are changes in personal information such as address, telephone number or email.
Children 13 and under must have a parent or legal guardian with them to register and receive their card. The parent or legal guardian must show identification with their current address. They are responsible for the child's selection, usage, and return of library material, as well as any fees that may accumulate.
- There is an annual fee of $80 per person for out-of-area residents. A three month membership is available for a cost of $20.
- Temporary Aurora residents may apply for a three (3) month membership.
- Customers in temporary housing (e.g. shelters or hostels) who are unable to provide a permanent address may borrow two (2) print materials at a time and must renew their card every three (3) months. A letter from the place of housing on letterhead is required to confirm residency.
- For work or school related membership, specific documentation of employment or enrolment (see below) is also required at registration and at annual membership renewal.
Accepted forms of current identification:
For Adults, Youth and Parents/Guardians of Children 13 and Under:
- Driver’s licence
- Pay stub or direct deposit stub
- Utility or cell phone bill
- Bank statement
- Ontario Motor Vehicle Permit
- Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
For those attending school in Aurora who live outside York Region:
- Report card with address, verification of enrollment on school letterhead, or recent student ID card
For those working in Aurora who live outside York Region:
- A current pay stub with local address
- T4 statement
- Verification of employment on business letterhead
Replacing Your Library Card
- Treat your library card like a credit card. You are responsible for any item borrowed on this card until it has been reported lost or stolen. Report a lost card to library staff immediately to avoid misuse.
- To replace your library card, you will need to bring valid identification (see above). The replacement fee for a lost card is $3.
- If you have holds on eBooks in OverDrive, please let staff know before replacing your lost card. Staff will need to update OverDrive.
- When you get a new card, your holds or borrowed materials are not affected.
- Any money you added to your card for printing is lost.
- If you find your old card, you cannot start using it again.