Get or Renew a Library Card

Get a Library Card

Get a Library Card

It is easier than ever to register for, replace or renew a library card.

You can visit us during opening hours or apply online by filling out the form at the end of this page.

Membership is free to all who live, work, attend school, or own property in Aurora or any York Region municipality. Photo identification with current address is required for all registrations.

Most library cards expire every two years. To renew it, we need to verify your name, address and telephone number and outstanding fees need to be settled. Please notify staff immediately if there are changes in personal information such as address, telephone number or email.

Children 13 and under must have a parent or legal guardian with them to register and receive their card. The parent or legal guardian must show identification with their current address. They are responsible for the child's selection, usage, and return of library material, as well as any fees that may accumulate.

Please note:

  • There is an annual fee of $60 per person for out-of-area residents.
  • Temporary Aurora residents may apply for a three (3) month membership and will be charged a deposit of $20 which is refundable upon return of all materials and the membership card including receipt for the deposit.
  • Customers in temporary housing (e.g. shelters or hostels) who are unable to provide a permanent address may borrow three (3) print materials at a time and must renew their card every three (3) months. A letter from the place of housing on letterhead is required to confirm residency.
  • For work or school related membership, specific documentation of employment or enrolment (see below) is also required at registration and at annual membership renewal.
  • The replacement fee for a lost library card is $3.00.

Accepted forms of current identification:

For Adults, Youth and Parents/Guardians of Children 13 and Under:

  • Driver’s licence
  • Pay stub or direct deposit stub
  • Utility or cell phone bill
  • Bank statement
  • Ontario Motor Vehicle Permit
  • Mortgage, rental or lease agreement

For those attending school in Aurora who live outside York Region:

  • Report card with address, verification of enrollment on school letterhead, or recent student ID card

For those working in Aurora who live outside York Region:

  • A current pay stub with local address
  • T4 statement
  • Verification of employment on business letterhead



Library Card Application Form

Back to Top