Can't find the item you are looking for in our catalogue?
SUGGEST A PURCHASE
Aurora Public Library aims to build a balanced collection to serve our community. Selection decisions are based on APL's Collection Development Policy as well as available funding and space. We appreciate and consider all suggestions but it is not possible to add all items to our collection.
How Do You Suggest A Title?
Step 1: Check the Catalogue to make sure that your suggestion is not in our collection The item must already be in print and released in North America.
Step 2: Login to My Library Dashboard. Under My Borrowing, click on Submit A Suggestion which will take you to a form to be completed. You can suggest up to 3 items per month.
As of August 1st 2022, library staff will no longer place holds on behalf of customers for approved requests.
What kind of material can I suggest? We use the following guidelines when looking at purchase suggestions:
- Titles have been published within the last two years;
- Academic books, specialized titles or textbooks, or out-of-print titles will not be purchased.
Do not suggest titles by best-selling authors or performers, or popular DVD feature films, as we routinely buy these.
If you'd like to borrow a title that is older, out of print, or an item that doesn’t meet our purchase guidelines, you can try requesting it through our Interlibrary Loan Service.
Our staff can help you make a request to borrow a title from another library system. You will need a valid Aurora Public Library card to make an interlibrary loan request.
What can I request? This service is mainly for print material (books). You can request any type of item but availability depends on the policies of the lending library. Many library systems have restrictions on what they will lend through interlibrary loan. For items published within the last year, please note most libraries will not lend out new material through Interlibrary Loan.
We have some rules too. You cannot request:
- Materials already owned by Aurora Public Library;
- Material published in the last 12 months;
- Rare and fragile material i.e. original manuscripts;
- Reference material;
- Newspapers and magazines;
- Online resources such as eBooks or eAudiobooks.
How do I request material? There are two ways:
- Online form - Submit your request using the form at the bottom of this page.
- Self-serve interlibrary loan - This service allows you to search for items in other Ontario public library systems and place your own requests. You can register by emailing us your name and library card number at email@example.com. After we process your request, we will send you instructions and a self-serve interlibrary loan link.
How long does it take? Requests can take 3 to 8 weeks to fill but there is no pre-determined timeframe. We cannot guarantee an item will be received by a certain date.
Borrowing rules - What you need to know about this service:
- You can have a maximum of 10 unfilled interlibrary loan requests in process at one time;
- You must submit a separate request form for each title;
- Loan periods are determined by the lending library. Generally, you will have 3 weeks to use the item;
- Items may be renewed if the lending library allows it. You must contact us to request a renewal 2 days before the item is due. Call staff at 905-727-9494 ext.211;
- There is no fee for borrowing materials from other libraries;
- If interlibrary loan materials are lost or damaged, you will have to pay the amount charged by the lending library.
Still have questions about interlibrary loans? Contact us at 905-727-9494, ext.275 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Interlibrary Loan Request Form
"*" indicates required fields