New users can now apply online or in person for a library card!
Membership is free to all who live, work, attend school, or own property in Aurora or any York Region municipality (as per YRPLP agreement). Identification with current address is required for all registrations.
Children 13 and under must have a parent or legal guardian with them to receive their card. The parent or legal guardian must show identification with current address and is responsible for the selection, usage, and return of library material, as well as any fines or fees that may accumulate.
- There is an annual fee of $60 per person for out-of-area residents (exclusive of YRPLP members).
- Temporary Aurora residents may apply for a three (3) month membership and will be charged a deposit of $20 which is refundable upon return of all materials and the membership card including receipt for the deposit.
- Customers in temporary housing (e.g. shelters or hostels) who are unable to provide a permanent address may borrow three (3) print materials at a time and must renew their card every three (3) months. A letter from the place of housing on letterhead is required to confirm residency.
- For work or school related membership, specific documentation of employment or enrolment is also required at registration and at annual membership renewal.
- The replacement fee for a lost library card is $3.00.
Forms of current identification providing name and address can include:
Adults, Youth and Parents/Guardians of Children 13 and Under:
- Driver’s licence
- Pay stub or direct deposit stub
- Utility or cell phone bill
- Bank statement
- Ontario Motor Vehicle Permit
- Mortgage, rental or lease agreement
Those Attending School:
- Report card with address, verification of enrollment on school letterhead, or recent student ID card
Those Who Work in Aurora:
- Pay stub with local address, T4 statement, verification of employment on business letterhead
A member’s library card expires bi-annually. At that time, name, address and telephone number are verified and outstanding fines and fees are settled before the library card is renewed.